Sunday, August 28, 2011

Wind and Rain

I think it is safe to say that, for our area, the media over dramatized this storm. We had inches and inches of rain. It poured for over 12 hours. There was wind, but there was very little damage.

The advantage of us being at my parents during the storm was that their house is brick with new windows. Their house is quiet! We spent a lot of hours sitting in front of the big bay windows just watching the wind and the rain, but we hardly heard it. My parents lost electricity at 4pm and it was not restored until 9am. We expected that.

The ironic part is that our house did not lose electricity at all. Jeremy and I came home this morning to check everything out before we brought the children home. We have some branches to pick up. Josiah is happy about that! The other ironic thing is that the biggest limbs that we lost fell before we left yesterday morning.


We had a good time with my parents, grandparents and sister. Lost of time in the dark to visit. It is amazing how much technology is still available to us after electricity is out. Jeremy's iphone and ipad were still functioning. The disadvantage was that the children could play games. The advantage was that Jeremy could continue to track the storm. There are always seemingly equal advantages and disadvantages with technology.

Nobody slept well. Anna cried really hard several times. At 4:30am the entire family was awake and Aliza had a very hard time falling back asleep. After Jeremy and I checked our house, Brian's house and Matt and Chrissy's house we picked up the children and came home. I was counting on good naps. Somehow Aliza managed to keep herself awake. After her night I have no clue how she did that.

Now everybody is asleep and I'm looking forward to a quiet night.


1 comment:

chrissy said...

Thank you again for checking our house. I really appreciated that phone call! :)