Thursday, June 1, 2017

Tedious Productivity

Way back when I was in Jr. High my Dad offered me a job. He wanted his library of book in his office to be cataloged. For a penny per book, I wrote down the title, author and I believe I put a return address label in books that didn't have one. I thought it was the greatest job. Come to find out I still like tedious jobs. I like being able to see how much I have done and how much farther I have to go.

Give Your Child the World was published last year and I thought it looked helpful. It's a book of book lists. Arranged by continent and recommended reading age, the book suggests titles that represent cultures around the world. I couldn't bring myself to *buy* a books of book titles. This spring I suggested it for new material for our library and they bought it. I was the first to check it out and couldn't wait to start looking up every book in the book to see which ones our library has. Over the course of a week or so I looked up every book title and wrote down the ones our library has so that I can check them out. I was pleasantly surprised that our library system has a great majority of the recommended books.
Thinking that not everyone in the world would find joy in looking up every book, I decided to mark (in pencil) the books that our library system has. I thought that was a brilliant idea. lol. Hopefully someone else will pick up the book and appreciate it.

No comments: