Monday, June 15, 2009

Special Visit

It was so special to be able to visit with my Grandma last week. She is 82 years old and lives about 12 hours away so I get to see her about once a year. But in the last year I have now seen her 3 times! Josiah sat on her lap for a few minutes (that was lucky!) and she read to Aliza. Grandma also oversaw our strawberry jam making. She has preserved a lot of food in her life time. She raised 7 children on a dairy farm!

I have gained a greater perspective on grandparents since I've had children. I had no idea how much grandchildren are loved. And then grandparents are really crazy about their great grandchildren. Sometimes I'm just a little slow, but maybe in this case I'm just getting older and becoming more perceptive of the older generations.

3 comments:

chrissy said...

The perception of the the older generations comes with age. We learn to appreciate more because we start going though things that they have and we know it. When we are really young, we think we are the only ones that go through stuff. It shows that we are growing up and becoming wiser!

Natalija said...

Hmmm I hate to be the opposing opinion here, but I think a lot of this line of thinking is dependent on what kind of people the grandparents or older generation we're talking about are. This has to start with individuals who desire familial connections and imparting said wisdom upon you, all kinds of different people are raised into the "older generation" role through the passing of time. I also think that there are old souls out there very capable of appreciating the generations before them when they're at a young age themselves. Being young doesn't always mean a self-centered or unwise outlook. Just my opinion of course! :)

chrissy said...

Very deep, awesome comment Natalija. I love opposing opinions but always want to make sure the opposing person knows where I am coming from. To define my young definition, I didn't mean young as in 20's or so, I meant truly young like teens, early teens, or before. Some people may be wise at some point in that age group but it comes from going through hard times usually and something I don't wish for anyone. Not a hard time example, but thinking you are truly in love when you are 13... probably a one-in-a-million chance the person is truly in love and will stay with that person forever. Many of us can think back to a time like that and think "What was I thinking?" Thanks for the commenting interaction! :-)

*Carla, I hope you don't mind a little discussion on your blog. To add, I love that picture of you and your grandma. She definitely does not look her age which is so wonderful.