Monday, June 8, 2009

Strawberry Jam


When it comes to preserving food it is so nice to 1) have a Mom with a big kitchen and 2) have a couple sisters to help. We made strawberry jam this afternoon. Aliza helped by washing the berries and handing them to Janell or I to cut. Laura cut them in half and put them in the blender. Whenever my family preserves food we create a great assembly line. Everyone has a job and it goes smoothly and pretty quickly.

The whole process was really quick and easy. I was almost thinking that I could have made a batch by myself--until it came to the cooking part. You have to stir the berries constantly so that it doesn't burn. Then you have the add the sugar at just the right moment and get the pot off the stove at the next specified moment. So you know if I was doing it alone at those precise moments a crisis would occur with Aliza or Josiah and my jam would be ruined. I think I have a few more years of sticking with the sisters!!!

2 comments:

Laira said...

I for one am glad that we are stuck with you for at least a few more years :)

Janel said...

Way to go! Funny, I made strawberry freezer jam before we left, Jenna had some sort of 'melt down' right when I was starting, I was thinking to myself "All I want to do is make strawberry jam, is that too much to ask!!!" :) Ahh the joys!