Friday, July 31, 2009

Thoughts on Psalm 27

At Bible Study this week we looked at Psalm 27 focusing on verse 4. In the Message it reads:

I'm asking God for one thing,
only one thing:
To live with him in his house
my whole life long...
...That's the only quiet, secure place
in a noisy world.

If we make our house with God we will live in a quiet, secure place despite the noise that constantly surrounds us. How do I "dwell with God" in my noisy day to day life? Where is that place that I find God during the day and can sense His presence?

My world is super, super noisy. Even when the "people" noise has quieted at night there is still window air conditioner units and computers that create constant noise. On top of that my mind makes a lot of noise too.

The verse says the only quiet, secure place is living with God. That means I should stop looking for peace and security in other places...friendships, books, scrapbooking, my children's behavior etc. When I am "dwelling with God" then I will still have peace and security when relationships are difficult; my children bicker, are sick, or act crazy in public; or when I'm not able to have time to myself.

I've written out that verse and taped it above the kitchen sink. That way I see it often and think about it. Right now it gives me a lot to think about.

2 comments:

Christie said...

I really appreciate this post. It goes along amazingly with the devotion I read this morning...maybe I will post it and see what you think.

Christy said...

that's awesome.