Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The New Story of My Life

Two children with opposing opinions.

Aliza has had definite opinions for a long time. In the last week Josiah has an increased vocabulary, has turned 2 and has learned to communicate strong opinions. Here's how it played out today...

Grocery shopping. Josiah sits in the front of the cart and Aliza decides that, today, she wants to push the cart. Josiah decides that he most definitely does NOT want Aliza's hands on the handle of the cart. He says, NO, tries to push her hands off, calls for Mommy and, as a last ditch effort, he bites her hand.

Aliza starts screaming. He bit her, but barely bit her. Much less of a bite than she has left on him in the past. Nonetheless she determines that she is not walking and not riding. Carrying is not an option. I console her (for what seems like forever in the middle of the store) and we continue on.

Aliza decides that she wants to push again. I have a little talk with Josiah and he cooperates. He then decides that he wants to walk. Not an option for him at this point. I end up carrying him while trying to help Aliza navigate without touching the cart. If I touch the cart, I get reprimanded!

We make it through the check out line and out to the car successfully. And I realize that this is going to be the story of my life. 2 opinions. 2 little personalities. 2 determined children with their own style of determination. (Aliza negotiates and dictates. Josiah screams and gets mad.) Yes, this will be a very interesting year. I'm sure there will be lots of stories to tell!