Thursday, May 20, 2010

What is Hanging Out of the Bluebird House?

I was talking to my sister-in-law on the phone and looking at the bluebird house. It dawned on me after some minutes that something was hanging out of the house. After a few more minutes I realized that it was a snake. I have no tolerance for free snakes. They give me the creeps. My sister-in-law is even worse so after some exclamations of horror I hung up and started calling the men in my life. Jeremy was at the driving range and Dad was not in town. Meanwhile, Meghan called Brian. A couple minutes later the snake emerged....and kept emerging.....and kept emerging. Now I'm starting to sweat as it slithered toward the house. I call Meghan back with the status update and she informs me that she will call Brian back and tell him to get over to my house. Thankfully my brother is always up for hunting down animals and he was between jobs. He made good time getting to my house. In the meantime the snake headed back up the tree. By the time Brian got here he saw this:

Not one, but two snakes!

He disposed of the first one. The second promptly went inside the birdhouse. We waited for the snake to come out. After a while it started to come out and Brian stunned it so it went back inside. Brian then decided to open the birdhouse. I told him he didn't have to save it, but being the sentimental guy he is, Brian didn't want to destroy it since my Grandad made it out of kitchen cabinets from one of their homes. Brian carefully unscrewed the top, knocked the lid off and the snake came out. I'll spare you the details. He'll have the gruesome pictures posted on Facebook.

My children were intrigued. Aliza was most concerned for the Mama bird who lost her babies. The Mama will be so sad she said.

Brian with his trophies. Gross. Gross. Gross.

4 comments:

Christie said...

OH!MY!WORD! I miss Maryland so much but NOT the the snakes!!! I would have freaked! Yeah for big brothers!!!

Me said...

oh my goodness! they are HUGE! is that normal for Maryland? oh, i would so be moving to oregon where the snakes are tiny enough to be cute! LOL : )

Christy said...

shudder shudder shudder shudder..... Thank God for brothers. Since I don't have any brothers, I would have had to move.

Janel said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!