Monday, May 2, 2011

Big Weekend Events

This was a weekend full of fun events in West Virginia. It all began on Friday evening when I watched the 20/20 special on the Royal Wedding. I have a DVD of the full wedding that I intend to watch in several sittings so more on the Royal Wedding later.

Saturday was the Ladies Tea that has become an annual event for Karen and I. This year the event was titled Celebri-Tea. It is not really a "tea", but it is a wonderful luncheon with an atmosphere decorated to the hilt. This year it was all about celebrities, movies and fashion. I'm not really into any of those things so I sat down and just enjoyed the food. It was really good food.


I was starting to looking forward to the chocolate fountain dessert when Project Runway was announced. Each table became a team and each team was designated a work station where we were required to incorporate at least 4 of the items into a dress. Each team needed to designate a model and a lead designer.

You can only imagine what happened next. Yup, I was designated the model and our team started to disappear and those left had only a few ideas. My mother-in-law took matters into her own hands and made me a dress. Now, my mother-in-law and I have gotten very close over the 12 years we have known each other and she has helped me with a lot of things....but I have never allowed her to dress me or choose my fashion....much less a fashion that I would model in front of a group! That all changed. I can now say that she made a dress for me...out of materials that we had no control over. She did a good job too!!!
We had this lovely shade of orange? peach? salmon? to work with.
Initially, the designer and model walked on to the stage together and the judges commented. They called our dress "Simply Elegant." Then, of all things, our dress was one of the finalists. I had to go back on stage. By myself.
And then I had to walk down the red carpet they had in the center of the room. Ultimately we came in third. Not to shabby for a model and a designer who were only trying to be good sports.

I had to quickly eat my chocolate fountain dessert while I was waiting off stage to find out if I was a finalist. We couldn't find napkins so I was wiping chocolate off my face. Clearly, I'm not runway material. haha.
And the dress in all its glory!


On Sunday afternoon, Karen, Aliza and I got to attend a surprise bridal shower for Brandi. I was so glad I got to be there and there was the added benefit that Aliza got to see the church aisle that she is so very "nervous" about walking down. She is the flowergirl for Joel and Brandi's wedding and she played the part perfectly at the shower. She was cute and friendly and made her Mommy proud. Brandi asked her to help with her gifts and Aliza was pleased to have a job.
Aliza wanted to give her present to Brandi first. She had colored a picture and wrote a note on the back. To Brandi I love you. From Aliza I wrote it on a piece of paper and then left the room while Aliza wrote it.


After gifts Aliza was in a picture taking mood. She stood by Brandi and smiled for every picture. It looks like the Miller family adopted her!

Brandi, her mom, sister....and Aliza
The Bridal Party

Brandi, her Grandma, sister...and Aliza

It was a super fun weekend for us and the children. Aliza, Josiah and Anna were all exhausted when we got home. Anna was in bed at 7pm. Josiah was asleep by 8:30pm and Aliza fell asleep on the couch with me a 5:15 so she fell asleep for the night a little later. We had a couple cute moments in the car coming home. Josiah and Aliza were arguing over who could have Joel as their favorite. After several hours of driving Aliza asked, "Mommy, do you think Grandma and Grandpa are crying because they miss us?"

No comments: