Friday, April 13, 2012

Sewing

I've decided that I want to sew. Pinterest is good for sparking new interest in things I have done in the long ago past. That would be high school. I made several fairly complicated dresses for ACE State Convention. I have no idea why Mom allowed me to undertake such projects, but I did complete them under her watchful eye. I wonder what happened to those dresses? Oh well, that's beside the point.

I went to our local fabric store last night. I've decided to make a circle skirt. I studied the tutorial and it looks easy enough. Black polka dots for me and colorful polka dots for the girls is what I had in mind when I walked in the store. This store always has sale signs everywhere so I scouted out the polka dots figuring they were on sale. There was exactly what I had in mind so I grabbed them and went to get the fabric cut.

The sales lady cutting my fabric quickly pointed out that the 2 fabrics I chose for the girls were full price. (I came home and told Jeremy he should fire me as the family shopper. I am not a good shopper at all!!) This "helpful" lady inquired about my project as is common in fabric stores. I told her and she then proceeded to point out to me the 1.99 fabric saying she would never cut full price fabric on a pattern she hadn't tried before. (Ok. I already know I'm not that great of a shopper...and how do you know that I haven't sewn in years!!) The fabric I picked out for myself is a little sheer so she took it upon her self to ask me if I was planning to line it or use the fabric for a blouse.

So with that start we'll see how this sewing project turns out. Good thing I'm planning to do it at Mom's house so she can bail me out when I make a mistake. Or maybe I've grown up enough that I will ask for help before I make a mistake. And I have a couple sisters who have better sewing instincts than I! With that safety net there's no reason for failure.

No comments: