Sunday, June 3, 2012

A Little More Grown-Up


 The title is referring to me. Last week Jeremy spent 4 days and 3 nights in New Mexico on a business trip. This is the first time that business has taken him out of state so a single parenting gig was also a first for me. I've never spent the night at home alone. I know. It as time for me to grow up a little bit more. And I did it--without laying awake scared every night. I woke up every night, but I was not afraid.

Single parenting is plain old hard. I carried so much tension in my body those 4 days. I don't think I relaxed once and since the children camped out with me at night I was with them 24 hours straight. Thank goodness they sleep...so at least they were quiet for a few hours.

The first day went well. The second day was horrible. It was rainy. Anna managed to dump a whole container for oats in the living and later a can of formula for the baby I take care of. Anna was clingy and crying a lot. It was rainy. Aliza bit Josiah which hasn't happened in ages. Bottom line: by the time I was cooking supper the tears flowed and I really had no idea how I was going to make it through only two more days.

That day was a pajama day. After supper we drove through TCBY for ice cream. It would have been an awesome distraction, but they were out of cherries. Josiah loves cherries and that led to yet another meltdown. In the end everyone did enjoy the ice cream. I enjoyed drinking my melted shiver later that evening.
Look! She is standing on a bag of sugar just looking for something else to carry around and ultimately dump! I cannot turn my back on her!
 The 3rd and 4th days went much better. I knew we had to stay busy so that's what we did. One morning we were at the beach and the other we spent playing at Janell's house. Both activities were super fun.

Janell had a big box of Thomas the Train cars and tracks. Josiah had a ball.

It was a perfect day to be at the beach. It's always fun to watch cousins play together.

 And, finally, we got to go to the airport to pick up Daddy. I know we got there way to early. I couldn't help it. The children got crazy in the waiting area. I broke a sweat chasing children off the luggage carousal. I was about to take them out to the car when the plane finally landed. Of course, Jeremy was at the back of the plane and it seemed like forever until we saw him. I was so excited I could have run out to the plane, thrown my arms around him, and handed all 3 of his children to him!!
 I maintained my dignity and let him walk calmly into the airport and let Aliza and Josiah run to him.
We anxiously waited at the luggage carousal to spot his suitcase. It didn't appear. We had to spend yet more time in the airport reporting his lost luggage. It was delivered to him around 1pm the next day. All's well that end's well.

No comments: