Saturday, October 15, 2016

Back to LIttle Things

Aliza found my blog books. I had 2013 out looking for something and she started reading. She read it cover to cover. She laughed out loud. She came to me several times with big hugs to tell me that I'm the best mom ever because of this or that that she had read about. She asked me if I'm still writing. I told her yes, but I didn't feel like I had as much to say recently. Well, she told me that I NEEDED to keep writing and she rattled off a list of post ideas. I suggested maybe she needed to start writing too--a mom/daughter blog. After seeing how much she loved reading about her life and how much insight it gave her in to her Mom, I'm going to keep writing about the little things.

We have continued having, for the most part, monthly Family Dinner Book Clubs. This month was Charlotte's Web. Aliza and Josiah loved the book. (I think Anna must be too tired by the time we start reading because she is too busy to sit still. Her hands are touching everything!) Dinner was country fair food--BBQ chicken, corn on the cob, kettle chips, dill pickle spears and soft pretzels for dessert. Josiah wanted to be the conversation question reader this time. The children were carrying on a great conversation. I asked a question here and there, but, for the most part, let them talk and listened. The fourth question was "If Charlotte were to write words about you in her web, what words would best describe you?" Such a great question! They started talking about themselves and then Aliza said, "Let's take turns telling each other what words best describe them." And they were off... It was beautiful. They rattled off lists of words for each other. Some silly, but none offensive. I found it interesting that all three (Aliza, Josiah and Anna) gave words to each other, but never asked me to join in. And then for me they decided Charlotte would definitely write "good cook." (Based on what they eat, I think that has more to do with the amount of time I spend in the kitchen than how much they like to eat what I put on the table!)

No comments: