Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Snow--and lots of it!

Since the beginning of the year it has been COLD. Temps have been in the teens and single digits with wind chills being below zero some nights. Last Tuesday we were the only crazy ones to go sledding on our friend's sledding slope. They have a snow maker and create a sledding hill each year and invite anyone who wants to, to come sledding. It might have been 20 degrees that morning, but it was sunny and there was no wind. The children had never been sledding before. They loved it and for an hour they kept at it. I was impressed that they lasted an hour. If they would have stopped moving, they would have been too cold. 


Isaiah rode with Aliza. Aliza took the best care of him and he didn't miss a single ride. He was quite a trooper walking through that snow and climbing the hill.


 Wednesday night into Thursday morning (that would have been Jan 3-4) we had blizzard conditions and got about 12 inches of snow. In December I wanted to just hibernate so badly and I got my hibernation time this week!
 We really enjoyed watching the birds at the feeder.
 The irony of Josiah lounging in the beach chair that is still on the deck just made me laugh.
 On the 3rd day (Saturday) it was time to dig out. Jeremy was able to work from home Thursday and Friday. The children and I continued to do schoolwork. Somehow snow days make for pretty good school days.

 Isaiah was the best (and only) shoveling helper.

 The snow plows made for some pretty deep drifts at the end of the driveway that Jeremy and I dug out. So many people waved at us as they drove by in their big trucks and SUVs. haha.
 I told Jeremy I would help until I froze and I made it the whole hour! And then I drug Jeremy over to dig out our neighbors. Once he got there he was glad to do it. They almost didn't let us. They kept saying "someone will come and get us out" and we would say, "someone is here and it's us!"
 On day 5 we finally ventured out and went sledding again. This time the temperature was in the low 30s and it felt great! This time the hill was busy with lots of friends. Once again the children went down over and over and over--really without stopping for almost an hour. All 5 of us fit on an old wooden toboggan. This picture is now my most favorite!
Schools are still closed today (day 6) so Anna didn't have dance. It remains to be seen if we will have our regular Wednesday activities tomorrow. I don't mind at all living in an area where snow stops regular activity for awhile.

No comments: