Thursday, September 25, 2008

Life Long Project



A long time ago, when I was in Jr. High, Mom decided that my sister and I needed a constructive project to do. So she allowed us to pick out cross stitch quilt blocks. I labored over which design I liked the best and what size bed I thought I might have in the future. Without realizing the consequences I also picked a design that connects on each quilt block. The flowers in each corner make a small square when the blocks are laid together. Janell, on the other hand, picked a pattern where she could actually add strips of fabric between her blocks allowing her to cross stitch fewer blocks. Her quilt has been finished for several years.

Mine is long from finished. In fact, Grandma Rhoda said on one of her visits that she suspected I would be 50 before I finished my quilt! Recently I've been inspired to work on it again. It's a good thing to do while listening to presidential speeches and debates and scrapbook webisodes. I think I have 9 finished. That is about a quarter of the total needed for the quilt! Hopefully the inspiration will stick around for awhile!

3 comments:

Natalija said...

I have a quilt with some fine stitch work like that on it...so I have a practical question. How do you wash a quilt like that? You know, like cleanse it without ruining it? Or should a quilt like this be more of a display piece?

Anonymous said...

i have a few similar projects sitting in my catch all room! fly with the inspiration, it is beauiful! and be sure and post a picture of it when its done!

chrissy said...

That is really pretty. I used to cross-stitch little things when I was in high school and give them to people for presents. Maybe I will look at the cross-stitch stuff next time we are at Michael's Crafts. Keep the inspiration going - 1/9 isn't too bad - it is a lot better than not started.