Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I think I'll Survive Now

Jeremy had to work last night which meant a night home alone for me. I'm not even close to being good at that. My sisters came over and spent the night with me which was great. I wasn't scared, but I still couldn't sleep. My brain just would not shut down. Funny how just having the presence of that special person next to you is so calming and how dependent I've become on having him there.

I finally fell asleep around 2:00am only to wake up in a sweat at 2:20. I thought I was going to get sick. I fell back asleep sometime and jolted awake soon after. That routine continued for a couple hours. Then I actually was asleep and sleeping seemingly good at 5:53am when I was awakened by the computer backup battery supplies...all 3 of them...beeping to alert me that the electricity was off and I needed to go down and turn them off properly. I just had this figured out in my foggy brain when Aliza frantically calls for Mommy and starts crying. The beeping had woke her up and scared her. Then my priority becames figuring out which is most likely to wake up Josiah....Aliza or the computers.

I tell Aliza what is happening and put her in my bed. Thankfully she understands well enough to keep quiet. I go downstairs and call Jeremy because I have NO IDEA how many and where the beeping is coming from. His brain is foggy. I get two turned off and can't find the third one. He says "turn the lights on so you can see." Now I'm getting frantic thinking that any second Josiah is going to start crying. I say "there are no freakin' lights that's why it's beeping." I get everything turned off and go back upstairs.

Aliza is awake. No remote chance of going back to sleep so my only goal is to keep her quiet in our now silent house so Josiah doesn't wake up. It worked for 15 minutes. He started crying at 6:15. It was the darkest rainiest morning ever. I tried to find candles in my stupor. I found a few, but it hardly cast enough light for them to even play. By 7:00 the sky was getting light, but the house was getting cold. I couldn't figure out how to light the pilot on the fireplace. Thankfully electricity came on right about 7:30 and I immediately began my countdown to afternoon nap time.

The nap was good. Aliza is still sleeping and I think, just maybe, I'll be able to survive until Jeremy gets home. He is on his way.

1 comment:

Christie said...

Oh man! Why do those things have to happen when Hubby's are away? Murphy's Law, I guess. Glad you got that nap in :)