Monday, December 22, 2008

Teething Stories Anyone?

I can't wait to see the cute little smile Josiah has in the previous post. Right now I'm chalking his fever up to teething, but I suppose it could be viral too. I'm as sleep deprived as he is! Maybe more so since I lay awake worrying about him when he falls asleep.

It started Saturday night. He was stuffing his whole fist in his mouth during church and started getting fussy by the end of the evening. He woke up a couple times early in the night, but by 3am he was definitely feverish. I held him, he dozed off on me. I tried to lay him down, he cried. By 5am he was just crying. I let Jeremy know that at 7am the shift was changing and set about trying to figure out how to get Josiah quiet enough that Jeremy could sleep. At 5:45 I decided my only choice was to get in the car and drive. It was pouring rain and cold...but we drove and he slept until 7am.

We got Tylenol and Motrin flowing yesterday so by evening he was doing pretty well. Playing a little bit. He drank a lot and ate enough yesterday so I was hoping for a decent night. It was a bit better than the previous night. We didn't have to hold him, but he cried frequently (like every 20 minutes for a couple hours) so Jeremy went in and gave him his pacifier. I was awake, of course. Isn't that the innate duty of a Mom? Wish I could turn that instinct off.

He slept late this morning and was quite warm when he woke up. (I don't have a thermometer yet. Sister-in-law to the rescue on that this afternoon!) Got the meds going again and gave him a bath. Fluid and food and he was ready for another nap. I was too. But he insists on crying every half hour for a couple minutes and then falls back asleep. Hence the reason I am writing now instead of sleeping!

No comments: