Saturday, December 13, 2008

Old Fashioned Giggle

Every kid does it. Aliza is learning to play hide and seek. Here she is "hiding" under the couch. She was so proud of her spot. I laughed until tears were running down my face. Of course it took Jeremy a very long time to find her. And her giggles didn't give her away. ;)

And here's the part I've been pondering the last couple days. The conclusion I've come to is that I'm just old fashioned. I baked cookies for my neighbors. They didn't all get visits, but the 90 year old lady did and the couple behind us will. I'm am so loving this neighborhood that looks out after us, talks to us when we walk past, and let my child ring their doorbell and/or look at their horses or play with their dog.

Then last night we went to a Christmas party of one of Jeremy's clients. The first thing the Doctor's wife said to me was "Are you still considering homeschooling?" I'm thinking...yup, I'm old fashioned. Then she asked if I have help with having two children. What??? Thank goodness for family, but I do this child raising thing myself! And what will she ever think when we have another child? In fact what will any of my friends think (not that it matters in the least), but I don't know of one family our age who is planning to have a larger than usual family. Yup, old fashioned again. Then as this woman was feeding her almost 4 year old plain spaghetti because that was all the child would eat she asked me what theme Aliza wanted for her birthday. What??? Three year olds get to choose themes for their birthday parties? Her daughter wants a High School Musical birthday party for her 4th birthday. Yes, it was official at this point. I'm old fashioned. I kept to myself that we use our computer for watching DVDs, that Aliza sings Away in the Manger, Jesus Loves Me, and Joy to the World for her entertainment. I will keep my children in a bubble until it bursts and I won't mind in the least. I don't care if my children are the most innocent and naive children on the block. They will also be the most most likely be the happiest and most carefree children on the block. They can be teenagers when they are 13 and adults when they are 18. And they will learn the ways of the world in due time.

How's that for a soap box post! =)

4 comments:

Meghan said...

I love it :-) The world would be a much better place is more people were 'old fashioned'. And Aliza's a wonderful hider!

Christie said...

Old Fashioned Mama's of the World Unite!!! You go girl! I am totally with you!

Me said...

you preach it sister!!!

chrissy said...

Nothing wrong with being old fashioned. Wish more people kept their children's lives a little more simplified and didn't over burden them with non-child like things when they are so little.