Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Toy Organization and Ownership

Finished Product


10 seconds after the finished project was complete

Climbing in the tubs

I bought this toy organization system from Target. I decided it was time for some toy organization and lessons on ownership...hence the reason there is are girl tubs and boy tubs.

I read a book this summer that suggested that every toy needs an owner therefore eliminating the guessing game over whose turn it is to play with the toy and for how long they deserve to play with it. At the time I didn't agree with the idea. I thought that toys could be mutually owned by siblings. Well, it doesn't work in the adult world and it doesn't work in the kid world either.

In our house a dictator has taken over and has ensured that the weaker party has nothing and plays with nothing without being pestered and seemingly tortured. I decided that this dictator needs to be overthrown before Christmas so that she doesn't think that she has gotten double the gifts!

So I'm buying into the theory I read about. (You have to ask me for the name of the book because it is needs a few disclaimers before I generally recommend it!) Every toy has an owner. If someone wants to play with a toy they essentially "rent" it from the owner. If a squabble develops the toy reverts back to the owner. No discussion. No negotiation. The character quality of sharing and generosity is instilled in the child through the parents example and teaching of the child. And the hope is that as they grow and learn to be generous they will offer to let their siblings play with their toys.

It doesn't work exactly that way with a toddler and a baby. Obviously Josiah can't ask for permission or grant permission. But Aliza knows that she can't take Josiah's books up to her room and that they go back into his tubs. And that little step is at least a start!

4 comments:

Natalija said...

This was one of the coolest blog postings yet! As someone without children, I thought it gave a great snapshot of what the life of a parent must be like. Plus I just had to laugh at the stark difference between the neat organized toys and the aftermath. Awesome.

Meghan said...

I love it!

Me said...

I'm intrigued (sp?)! there has been a lot more "picking on" around our neck of the woods too. Having dismissed ownership as impossible in the world of babies and toddlers, I completly forgot about the idea. ...wonder if I should give it a try. Can't wait to hear your take on it! LOL

chrissy said...

Love your organizational bins. Can't wait until we are over there next to check them out. The philosophy of toy ownership could spread to many different things, so it will be neat to see what kind of life it takes on - good luck!