Monday, December 14, 2009

Just for my Grandma

A year ago my Grandma moved into a retirement community and this year she hosted King Christmas at her facility. I called her several time this year and each time I called she mentioned Christmas and how she would like for us to be there. So this year we did it. It's a 12 hour trip one way. We got out there in a day, were there for 1.5 days and then took 2 days to return home.

It was good to see my Grandma, aunts, uncles, cousins, and cousins' children. There was lots of room to play and even a pool for us to use. Considering the amount of time we spent in the car my children did great. They were great travelers. They got to take turns riding with Grandma, Grandad and Aunt Laura. When they were with Mommy and Daddy they got to watch DVDs. This was all great except that it led to very few naps and extremely tired children when we got home!

I really thought I was not really going to have anything to blog about when we got home. Everything was so uneventful. Until this morning at breakfast at the hotel we were staying at. Aliza had already had 3 pieces of bacon and we told her that was enough. The serving tray was too high for her to reach so when I was talking to Josiah about staying in the breakfast room and turned around to see Aliza with a piece of bacon I wondered where she got it. Jeremy and my Mom looked at me with innocent expressions. They hadn't given it to her. It took about 10 seconds for me to realize that a man had just put down his plate of bacon and sausage gravy on his table and gone to retrieve something else. Aliza, yes, my daughter, jumped up on his chair and swiped a piece of bacon off his plate. Oh my goodness. I was mortified. I apologized to the man. Thankfully he took it well and seemed to be happy for something to chuckle about.

It's funny because I've been working on table manners with Aliza and Josiah. Things like stay seated in your chair (Aliza), stay at the table (Aliza), don't bang your silverware making all sorts of commotion (Aliza and Josiah) and keep your feet off the table (Josiah). Who would have guessed that I needed to address not taking food off a complete strangers plate! They will always think of something I haven't thought of. When Aliza is a teenager and thinks that I embarrass her....I'll let her know that the tables were turned at one point!

1 comment:

Janell said...

That's a great story. She's not shy about anything!