Friday, January 18, 2013

A Bit of Snow


 It wasn't much, but we had a bit of snow when we woke up this morning. While we were getting ready for the day, I caught Anna giving her baby doll a drink of water.

Aliza thought it would be most fun to play in the snow with Aunt Laura. She asked if she could pleeease have a playdate with Laura. So I called and Aunt Laura couldn't resist. She drove up just to play in the snow with Aliza--and have lunch with us!
 They managed to make a snowman. As Laura said, "There is always enough snow for me to build a snowman." It was true!

It was a bit windy so the children got cold! Josiah curled up in a blanket with his teddy bear while I made hot chocolate. Snow days are hard work days for Mama! Multiple rounds of wet clothes and dressing and undressing, hot chocolate....
 Then it was a before lunch exception to play Mario Cart with Laura! Laura even managed to play with Anna "playing" on her lap.
 This is our second full week on our new screen time policy. I have to tell you--I am daily humbled at the difference this change has made in our home. Everything is easier. Attitudes are not perfect. We still deal with disrespect and temper tantrums here and there, but it is easier to handle. It's like the children can actually hear me and I have a stronger hold on their hearts.

Today we needed to clean to get ready for a visit from Grandma and Grandpa. I had some things that needed to be finished after rest time and Aliza and Josiah wanted to help. Josiah washed windows while Aliza cleaned the downstairs bathroom. Then Aliza wanted to wash windows. After windows Aliza still wanted to help and all that was left was washing dishes. She was more than willing to do that so I got her set up and finished the mopping. Aliza put away the dishes in the drying rack and washed all the dishes--there were quite a few!
If I was a crier I would have cried. Instead I talked on the phone to Meghan while my dishes got washed!! Oh the joy! I'm proud of Aliza, but I'm more proud of Jeremy and I for sticking with it, fighting the battles, and winning.

No comments: