Friday, November 28, 2014

10 Years Ago

Today, the day after Thanksgiving, marks the day, 10 years ago, that I had my radioactive iodine treatment for thyroid cancer. That day has spiraled through my thoughts quite frequently today. I made a scrapbook of that journey and I thought about opening it up, but then I didn't want to go back there. I made the scrapbook so that I could put the memories to rest while still having them if my children were ever curious. The anxiety of those days will stay at rest, but this milestone and my gratefulness for life and health are worth remembering.

A few of my scattered thoughts from today:

As of 10 years, the statistical likelihood of a recurrence decreases again.

Jeremy and I were young and only in our 3rd year of marriage. He walked right beside me the whole time even when my thyroid was so low that I couldn't feel anything and with tears I told him "I know I love you, but I just feel like stone on the inside."

I remain thankful for the  friends and family prayed for me and for my voice to be restored and who took the time to write emails and send cards. (No facebook or texts back in 2004!!)

My Mom came to see me right after I got home from taking the radioactive pill. I was then officially "radioactive" and "dangerous" and I was scared. She wasn't afraid of me. She gave me a hug. 

My thoughtful Grandma Rhoda sent a box of gifts for me to open--one each day that I was in isolation in our house.

Because of my own experience, I fervently prayed my sister through her own thyroid surgery (turned out not cancer) and was able to encourage a friend through her own days of radioactive isolation.




1 comment:

Janell said...

This brought tears to my eyes. We have so much to be thankful for and I am so thankful for your fervent prayers on my behalf. This was only one incident that you prayed me through.