Saturday, January 17, 2009

Potty Training--Week 1

Aliza turns three in early March. I know that she is developmentally capable of using the potty. So I picked a week, planned to stay home and went for it. There's no turning back now...

Monday: Armed with a basket of Dollar Store prizes, a pile of panties and a pile of pants. I'm ready for accidents and success, whatever comes. The accidents were far less frequent that when I attempted this in August (4 a day instead of 10 in a morning!) so I'm feeling pretty optimistic. No success today.


Tuesday: This morning Aliza had an accident in the kitchen and while it was happening she looked at me and knew to run to the bathroom. A spark of hope? And then she woke up from nap with a dry Pull-up. Surprised me. But still no success.

Wednesday: Aliza woke up this morning with a dry diaper! Her last accident had been right after supper yesterday. I'm a little worried. How long can she hold it? She had an accident at 10am. My idea in the picture below was to have her play in warm water while sitting on the potty hoping to get her to "release" bladder muscles. It worked, but she wasn't on the potty! She had a blast playing with her kitchen toys in that water. That was ok with me since we've been in the house for 3 days now and I've had no success and who knows when I will have success!
Still Wednesday....the day went from bad to worse. She had an accident at 10am, woke up dry from her nap again and by supper time still had not had an accident or used the potty. I'm pretty convinced we are entering a battle of the wills that I will not lose. We aren't turning back now. I don't know what to do, maybe my daughter will be the one who graduates from high school in a diaper (lol) and I will be a parental failure. It was a bad day.

Jeremy came home with lots of energy and enthusiasm for the potty. So after supper he sat Aliza on the potty with his iphone and lots of cool movies to watch. I went grocery shopping and I got a text, "Aliza went in the potty!" I was mad that it happened while I was away. But, hooray, one success! A little hope to start the next day with.

Thursday: No success.

Friday: No success all day. In fact by supper time Aliza threw a temper tantrum about having to sit on the potty before supper. She was mad because we had to put some boundaries on her use of the iphone. In fact, I even told her that because she was choosing not to sit on the potty that if her panties got wet she was going to have time out. Lo and behold after supper she agreed to sit on the potty and in 10 mintues we had success! Oh boy! This time I was excited. We cheered and she got a prize (a puzzle that she got to put together right away). Grandma called at the right moment and then we called Grandad and tried to call Grandma and Grandpa. This time she knew what she did.

Saturday (today): At 6am Jeremy went downstairs to figure out why our house was cold. It was 10 degrees outside and our boiler wasn't lighting. No heat! It was 58 degrees in the house by the time the children woke up. The bathroom downstairs was the warmest room since it was electric baseboard heat. When Aliza woke up she was dry and pretty soon she asked for the ipod touch and wanted to sit on the potty. I agreed. She sat there while I gathered up what we needed to take to my Mom's for the morning. A few minutes later I heard, "Mommy, come look. I did it!" I really could hardly believe it. We cheered again and she got a prize that she got to show everyone today....chapstick! Was I ever feeling optimistic after that! But we had accidents the rest of the day and a wet Pull-Up after nap.

The picture below is this evening. Jeremy and Aliza sat in the bathroom for a half hour each playing on an ipod. It's great that Jeremy doesn't mind sitting there. But she didn't go.


So in a week I've only had 3 successes. I really thought it would be easier than this. Maybe one day next week I'll have 2 successes in one day or at least one success every day. We'll see, but it looks like this is going to be a long process. I'm not staying home all week this week. I will go crazy!

5 comments:

Meghan said...

Though it might've seemed like a long week... she's gone twice in the past 24 hours that I haven't talked to you! I'm surprised! YAY!!

Christy said...

ok, I had no idea you had a blog!

my understanding is that some presidents do the tour, and some do not, but Obama is getting more attention than most previous presidents did. It used to be that it was simply the route that presidents took to move to Washington DC. I am guessing that since Obama and Lincoln were both from Illinois, it was a coincidence that his management team decided to take advantage of. But I don't know for absolutely certain. =)

Anonymous said...

Quite an adventure:)

Gwyneth Paltrow said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Me said...

I had been wondering how potty training was going! ...now i know. my heart goes out to ya...sounds a lot like some of our potty training adventures.
if its any comfort, we are about 4 months into it and shes still having any where from 6 to 15 accidents a week, and even so i am confident that NEITHER of them will walk down the wedding isle in their pullups! LOL