Friday, January 16, 2009

Road Trip

On Jan. 2 we set out on a road trip to see my Grandma in Ohio and attend a cousin's wedding in Michigan. This was a huge undertaking, but with my Mom in the back seat with the children we thought it was possible. We all survived so, indeed, it was possible and memorable.

Day 1: We made it to Ohio in 11 hours and 45 minutes. We made great time considering we were traveling with 2 children. They were both great travelers. I was armed with lots of toys and snacks and we didn't pull out the DVD player until 4pm. That was a hit and we didn't hear much from Aliza after that!



Day 2: It was much harder to think of packing up in the car again for the 1.5 hour drive to Michigan for the wedding. Grandma made breakfast for us and the other family member that were in town. The menu is important to the rest of the story....french toast stuffed with cream cheese and a brown sugar bottom, sausage, cinnamon rolls, fruit, assorted cookies and coffee cake. Aliza had a great time running down the halls of Grandma's apartment (attached to an assisted living facility. It is a great building and place for her to live!)

We headed back to where we were staying and got ready for the wedding. I got lunch for the children and thought I should maybe eat something myself, but I didn't. I was still feeling full from our sugary breakfast. About 1:00 we packed up and headed for the turnpike. I fell asleep on the turnpike and when we got off at the exit, I woke up and felt HORRIBLE. My fingers tingled, I felt shaky, nauseous, and faint. I had no idea how I was going to make it to the church. My aunt (mother of the groom) looked at me when we arrived, heard what I had for breakfast and got her sugar tablets out of her purse. She gave me 3 (30 calories straight sugar). She also found some cheese and crackers and in about 10 minutes I wasn't as shaky, faint or tingly feeling. But still nauseous. Ultimately I essentially missed the wedding and spent a couple hours on my aunt's couch before catching the last hour of the reception. I had done so much planning for this trip and at the climax I got sick. Hadn't planned on that! At that point I felt a little stupid for making the trip in the first place.
But a 4 generation picture is priceless and it was really nice to see Grandma and where she lives now. We got to spend a little time with her on Day 3 before we started home. The weather was pretty bad so we thought we should get a head start.

Running in the halls!


Josiah had ice cream for the first time. He enjoyed it as you can tell in the video above.

Day 4: Finished driving home. Josiah and Aliza both slept for about 3 hours in the afternoon. We were all exhausted. I didn't realize how much attention they soaked up from having Grandma in the back seat until the next day when Josiah cried every time I took more than 2 steps away from him. But I have to say Mom was the best! The trip was much more enjoyable with her help.

No comments: