Monday, January 2, 2012

60 Years...


 ...of loving, caring and sharing. That was engraved on the vase and became sortof the theme of my grandparents 60th anniversary celebration. It was an adult dinner with my grandparents, parents and siblings. (My sister, Laura, had to work and we missed her!) We celebrated life, commitment to marriage and our memories of Gramma and Grandad.


 Janell made favors of Gramma and Grandad's original wedding photo and a picture of Gramma in her wedding dress a few years ago.

 I made the cake topper and Meghan made and decorated the cake.

 Jeremy was taking the picture, but here we are after a lovely dinner at Market Street Inn. They had a most, ummmm, luxurious New Years menu. It was super yummy. For the price we paid, Jeremy and I made sure we ate every bite!

My Mom was beautiful. My Dad thought so too! =) I never want to take it for granted that I know my parents love each other.

It's not really surprising that I was the grandchild who wrote something to share after the meal. Janell and Brian were happy to let me do the talking. So...if you want to know what I said, keep reading!

60 years of marriage. Many people would wonder how it is possible to remain married for 60 years. I've only been married for 10 years, but I have an idea of how a couple stays married for 60 years. At our wedding Jeremy and I took basically the same vows you did. We said we would stay together in good times and bad, in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer for as long we both shall live. It's as simple as keeping a vow...no matter what. Commitment. No matter what. When challenges arise you figure out how to make it work, no matter the cost.

Thank you for giving us your example of commitment not only to marriage but to faith, to a strong work ethic, to hospitality, and to family.

Gramma, there are times when I am pretty sure that I have inherited some of your personality and interests. I thought of a few things that I believe that I think you may agree with:
  •  A memory is even better when it documented in pictures, words or scrapbooks
  • Friendships are meant to last a lifetime.
  • It is far more enjoyable to bake a dessert than make a meal.
  • A pretty table makes for a better meal.
  • Planning a party is almost more than half the fun.
As I thought about what I wanted to share I had lots of different thoughts and memories come to mind. These are a few of them:
  • I remember singing with Gramma during Sunday School opening in Florida.
  • I associate shrimp pizza on Christmas Eve at Gramma's house in Florida with feeling sick because I was so excited for Christmas.
  • It was so hard to wait for Gramma to clean up the kitchen after a meal...I couldn't wait for her to play school with Janell and I.
  • I contributed to any self-esteem issues that Gramma has—the first time I saw her long hair down and I really did think her wobbly arms were neat.
  • We decorated the house in Oregon for Gramma and Grandad's 40th anniversary. Was that really 20 years ago???
  • Gramma and Grandad came to visit me at EMU. They took me out to eat at Shoney's and Gramma had an incredible carebox for me.
  • Gramma has told me and I have known for many years that Gramma and Grandad pray for every one of us and our children every single day. Thank you. That is such an incredible gift.
  • I remember the morning that I realized my voice was coming back. Gramma had told me right before that she couldn't think of me not being able to sing again. I was gingerly testing my voice and the only song that came to mind was Amazing Grace. I was able to sing a few lines and I ran to the phone and called Gramma. I didn't say hello. I just started singing. I don't remember what Gramma said, but I'm pretty sure that was the first call I made that morning.
  • Grandad, it is such a privilege to watch Josiah work with you. He is naturally a worker and for him to have someone available to him to work with is priceless.
  • Josiah's chosen seat at church is right next to Grandad. And if Grandad tells him to be quiet he (usually) listens.
  • Aliza was such a grown up little girl wanting to help Gramma unpack. I'm pretty sure she wore Gramma out on more than one occasion with her passionate desire to help.

I look forward to many more moments that add to my list of memories. I also look forward to things that you will yet teach me and my children that will impact our lives forever.

1 comment:

Christie said...

A great big "LIKE!" Such a wonderful testimony in a world that needs it so much! <3