Sunday, January 22, 2012

Now I Lay

The rest of the nap time story is that now I lay with Josiah until he falls asleep. He went a week without a nap and each day got worse until he took a nap again. Naps are what works for us. We pay for it at night, but either Jeremy or I lay with him again. 

Laying with a child until they fall asleep is one of the worst things to do in my book. It tests my patience more than anything else. It is like watching water boil. I never thought I would do it...much less be any good at it. I lay so still that I get sore and in the afternoon it is so hard not to fall asleep. Actually I did fall asleep one day last week and I was so scared I had slept for a long time. I ran downstairs to find Aliza (she and I have a deal that she has to be absolutely quiet until Josiah falls asleep), worried that I had left her in quiet solitude way too long, but I must have slept only a few minutes.

At night, though, laying with Josiah just gives me way too much time to think. One night I was just thinking and all of a sudden I realized that I had tears running down my cheeks. I had been thinking about dancing with Josiah at his wedding. Pathetic, I know. I decided then it was time to do some sit ups or something. See, Josiah sleeps in a sleeping bag in his train tent so I lay outside the tent on his floor. He can't see me. 

It's just a phase in life so I won't complain. Maybe I'll start thinking of some good blog posts while I lay.

No comments: