Friday, May 11, 2012

Big Messes

Some moments in time just beg to be recorded for posterity. All of the following escapades happened within less than 20 minutes.

I've had a really good week. I have kept up with housework, done some extra house work, finished school and cared for a baby in addition to my children a couple afternoons. I just felt good about what I accomplished. Then this evening happened...

Jeremy played in a golf tournament this afternoon. It started a 2pm. He didn't get home until 9:30pm. I was making supper. Anna was throwing a temper tantrum. Over what I have no idea she seemed to have trouble keeping her temper in check this afternoon. Josiah was coughing incessantly. He needed allergy medicine. I turn to the kitchen sink and there is water leaking from the ceiling.

I run upstairs, calling to Aliza to turn off the water. She was washing the frosting off the toys she put on her cake yesterday. In the excitement of whatever story she was imagining she forgot to turn off the water. The sink was overflowing. There was water everywhere. Truly, she was utterly clueless as to what was happening.

Our sink vanity has a drawer in the bottom. When I pulled it out to realize it was filled with water I called Jeremy. What I wanted him to say was, "It's ok, Babe, I'll throw my golf clubs in the car, let my team down and come rescue you!" That doesn't happen in real life... He says, "Use as many towels as you need to mop of the water. " No rescue happening. He was an hour away anyway. I got the bathroom dried up.

Aliza told me well, Mom, the good news is that the kitchen is only dripping in one place now. That statement didn't sink in until I looked at the sink trying to figure out what all the containers were for. Aliza had done her best to catch the drips. Bless her heart.

I started looking a little closer and realized that my phone was sitting in a puddle on water in the cabinet. I had cabinets to dry out also. I told Aliza and Josiah to play Mario Kart. They agreed with out question. Hmmm.  I made the pizza and got it in the over. Gave Anna a snack. Josiah had to poop. Wiped him and mopped the floor (bad aim). It was then I decided that I needed to just go upstairs and look at facebook. Just a quick moment of silence and a breather.

All seemed well until I went downstairs to find Anna playing in the dish that I drain meat grease into. What a stinky, messy mess. I couldn't believe it. I was ready to curl up in a ball.

Of course, I didn't. I cleaned Anna up. Got supper on the table. Ate supper. Cleaned up the kitchen. Took a walk with the children. Called my Mom. Gave the children baths and tucked them in.

All those good feelings about being on top of home and housework? Out the window.

Good night.

No comments: