Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Sale


 It was another weekend full of traveling, memories and family time. This trip was a little bittersweet. The time had come for a yard sale of Jeremy's grandfather's earthly possessions in preparation for selling the family home. All 5 of the children grew up in this home and now that Pop lives in an assisted living facility it was time to say good bye.

 

 

 The yard sale was a success. Pop was there for several hours. I find it easy to "put myself in someone else's shoes." I can imagine how they are feeling and frequently my imaginings are accurate. I was thinking about how Pop must feel watching all of his things be sold and his house empty. This time I could only imagine from a 32 year old perspective and what I felt caused me to choke up and beg time to stop. That was the bitter part. I won't expound of my feelings about aging right now!

I had explained Aliza what was happening and at breakfast that morning she said, "Daddy I need to ask you a question. How do you feel about this being probably the last time you see your Grandpa's house?" Jeremy answered that he was feeling a little bit sad, but it was ok.

Aliza had a ball finding treasures at the sale. I let her take what she wanted. I'm regretting it at the moment, but she was occupied and having fun and the family was glad to see things taken..enthusiastically.

There were lots of tools and things for Josiah to look at.

 Aliza picked up every porcelain figurine she found. More on that at a later date...
 Anna wondered around.


Just look at this picture!! Josiah and his Great Uncle Darryl. Josiah followes him around everywhere. The picture was not posed. This morning when Josiah heard Darryl tell Patti that she was staying home from church with us, Josiah let out a big, "Yesss!"
 Darryl, Phil, Donna, Pop, Karen and Bob.
 Aliza showing (some) of her treasures to Betsy.
As we were leaving we picked up this hand drill and bit set for Josiah. He had looked at it off and on all day. I was surprised it hadn't been bought. On a complete emotional decision I wanted this for Josiah. He is very proud of this set. He doesn't use it properly by any stretch of the imagination, but some day we will be able to tell him whose it was and, I suspect, when Darryl's name is attached to it he will treasure it. Now....to teach him that it is sharp....and that it stays outside....etc. etc.

No comments: